Sunday, June 23, 2013

Cajungator Blues, Part I





“Mmmmwah! Mmmmwah!  Mmmmwahhhhh!”

“John Cole Crane! Will you please stop kissing the ground?” Billie Goat Holiday shouted. “Get back in the air so you’re outta’ my way!”

“I ain’t never going fishing again,” John said as he hugged his saxophone tighter and kissed the ground one more time. “Praise be, we’re almost home and away from that nasty river.”

“I’m sure glad no gator got you, John,” Django Rhinoceros said, adjusting the guitar slung over his back.

“Me too, Johnny bird,” said Elephant Gerald. “I don’t want you to worry about that river any more. I got me a plan so you’ll have no worries about going fishing again.”

The four friends were just about to the Little Moon river walk where things were as normal as a pecan pie at Thanksgiving. Elephant Gerald was still feeling like John Cole Crane almost drowned because his lucky lure had disappeared. He needed to head into the Who Do Voodoo Novelty Shop and see if he could find some sort of good luck charm for John to have so he could go fishing again.

“I ain’t going in there,” Billie said suspiciously. “It’s dark and creepy, and I don’t like that big ol’ albino alligator.”

“Oh, Billie, it’s just old and dusty. That shop is like 100 years old. And Cajungator never hurt nobody. Mama says his bark is worse than his bite,” Gerald said.

“Gator’s bark?” John asked, scratching his head. Django just rolled his eyes.

“His bite is exactly what I’m afraid of. Albino or not, he is a gator, Gerald!”

“C’mon, Billie,” Gerald said. “I’ll buy you something. Maybe a pretty rhinestone purse like my momma carries.”

Billie Goat stopped. She had always dreamed of a purse like Miss Ella’s, and it would be extra special if Gerald bought a purse for her. She would treasure it forever!

“You have that kind of money, Gerald?’

“You won’t know unless you come in.”

Gerald walked straight to the old ramshackle shop. The door was closed with a sign that said: CLOSED! BUT COME IN ANYWAY. WE BE WATCHIN’.

Gerald stared at the sign, took a breath and walked closer.

“Gerald, who you think is watchin’?” Billie asked.

Django swayed back and forth nervously, afraid of the shop he had walked past a hundred times but never dared to enter. John ruffled up his feathers and squawked.

“Gerald this is not a good idea,” Django said, still swaying.

“Oh y’all are scaredy cats. It says come in, so who cares if anyone is watching? C’mon Billie.”

Billie, tempted by the idea of a new purse, followed Gerald. “Y’all keep a lookout, and if you see that gator, let out a squawk.” John’s eyes were as big as dish plates and his skinny legs were knocking together.

Gerald opened the door and Billie followed. The only light inside came from a flickering bulb hanging from the rafters and the late afternoon light filtering through dirty old windows. Billie blinked and grabbed hold of Gerald. She sniffed the stale air.

“Stinks in here something awful,” she whispered.

“Let’s just find John a good luck charm and we’ll be on our way.”

Gerald was quite superstitious and believed a good luck charm would make John feel better about fishing again. He had a bunch of charms in the lucky pouch he sometimes wore around his neck. One of his prized possessions in there was a small, smooth stone. It belonged to his daddy before he mysteriously disappeared when Gerald was a baby.

“You go find your charm. I’m going to find me a rhinestone purse!” said Billie looking around. Suddenly she let out a scream and pointed to the counter. “Gerald, there is something crawling on there. I knew I shouldn’t have come in!”

Sure enough there was a small alligator; his glowing eyes stared at them in the dim light. The reptile opened its sharp snout and snapped at Billie. Spooked, she tried to push Gerald back to the door.

“I’m…baaa-aaaa…getting out of here.” Billie said, letting out a nervous bleat.

“Shush, Billie, that little gator can’t hurt us. It’s just a baby. Look, there’s the lucky charm table! Let’s get one and leave the money on the counter.”

Billie had made up her mind to leave when suddenly there was a swishing noise and the smell intensified, like rotting fish on a hot summer day.

“Well, well look who’s here.” Cajungator slinked out from behind a curtain where the cash register was. His white alligator skin glowed through the gloom, and his pink eyes glittered. The foul smell got stronger with every breath.

Billie gasped and grabbed Gerald. Gerald swallowed and tried to speak but his words were stuck in his throat.

“Uh, Mr. Caj, Caj, Cajungator, we, we, uh, uh…”

“No worries, my babies,” Cajungator replied in a deep, calming voice. “I am here to serve. I have been waiting for you. Now just step over here and let me give you a hand, or should I say a tail?” 

Cajungator laughed and his tail swung to and fro as his claws rubbed together in glee.

“I came to buy Billie a purse and just pick up a little lucky charm,” Gerald choked out the words. “What can I buy with this money?”

Billie and Gerald stood nervously together as Cajungator counted the coins at the counter, grinning his big toothy grin. The little gator, not the brightest fellow, wanted to have a little bit of fun while his uncle was counting the money. He suddenly lunged at Gerald to spook him.  

“Gerald, watch out!” Billie screamed.

Gerald made a loud bellowing noise in surprise. By instinct he extended his trunk and grabbed the reptile by the tail and swung him round, flinging him straight out the front door. The young alligator landed with a thud right at the feet of Django and John.

For just a moment there was a flicker of anger in Cajungator's eyes as he stared at Elephant Gerald, but then his large toothy grin came back. At that moment, Billie and Gerald thought they would never get out of the shop alive.

Come back next week to find out if Gerald and Billie can get away from the conniving Cajungator and his Who Do Voodoo Novelty Shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment